For our latest roundup of helpful links in the ethical shopping world, we thought we’d give you a brief overview of the sustainable fashion basic to know when starting to build a more environmentally conscious wardrobe. Thanks to the 5 bloggers below, you now have a place to start with fabrics, buzz words, sizing, and more!
1. We touched a little on this during our sustainable yarn guide and interview with Jordana of sustainable clothing brand echo + air, but the first thing to get to know when talking sustainability in fashion is the fabrics! Frockled’s guide to sustainable + eco friendly fabrics is a great place to start!
2. One thing you’ll come across when building an ethical wardrobe is that some bigger brands have ethical or eco friendly lines. H&M’s latest Conscious line just debuted, and Make it last did a little investigating as to just how sustainable it is.
3. You’d be surprised at just how many ethical clothing brands there are these days, but sometimes they’re really tough to find, especially in the right size. I thought this plus size ethical clothing guide from Sara Laughed would be not only helpful for decoding ethical brands, but using as a tool for finding sustainable ones, too.
4. Are sustainable, ethical, and slow fashion interchangeable? The Curious Button breaks down their differences. This is really important especially with small businesses because while they might be handmade or ethically produced, they can still be considered unsustainable. Sustainability is often a more expensive and time consuming route to go when running a fashion brand, so we really admire those who are able to embody all three concepts!
5. This infographic from Foxcroft is a year old now but it contains so many great details on why we need to stay away from fast fashion! If you want to learn sustainable fashion basics, you need to know why fast fashion is so damaging to our people and our planet. The impact is real!
Which has been the most eye opening thing for you about sustainable fashion? We’d love to hear more.